As much as we love to promote healthy living and eating, sometimes we need a treat!
The Gingerbread Man always comes around this time of year, Gingerbread Houses set up shop in millions of kitchens this month but we have been missing one crucial element of the gingerbread family. Waffles. Yes we said it. Gingerbread waffles. As the drool commences, take a look at this tasty, delicious recipe for the family this holiday season.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
1) Combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk to combine.
2) In a separate bowl, combine the eggs yolks, butter, milk, Greek yogurt and molasses and mix well.
3) Add the egg whites to a large bowl and beat with electric mixers until they reach stiff peaks. Add the wet milk/molasses mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4) Gently fold in the egg whites.
5) Heat a waffle iron and grease with butter or cooking spray. Add about 1/4 cup of batter to the hot waffles iron (or more, depending on what type of iron your using).
- 6) Serve warm with syrup. Also tastes great with cut up bananas and icing sugar!