Let Us Love Lettuce Again!
So the holiday break is officially almost over. Which means the kids are going back! Yes, the house may be a bit quieter, but that just means the schedules are back in full swing.
Start off the New Year right and kick up their lunch a notch or two. Lunches are the lifelong battle of coming up with ideas that are cost efficient, healthy, fun, easy to eat, little mess…. And the list goes on.
Lettuce Wraps became a recent trend among adults as a healthy substitute to a traditional wrap. So why not send our kids to school with the same thing!
We want to call this:
The Green Piñata
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Ground beef (or ground turkey)
- Mexican taco seasoning
- Cheddar cheese
- Green, red or yellow bell peppers
- Break up the ground beef or turkey and fry in a hot skillet until brown.
- Add the seasoning, either pre-mixed or your own spices.
- Add water and let simmer until fully cooked.
- Cut up vegetables and shred the cheese.
- Separate vegetables in little containers so your hungry luncher can be the mastermind behind the creation.
- Separate full pieces of the iceberg lettuce and add to a separate container.
- Once everything is packed together your job is done!
The kids will be able to assembly and put what vegetables and toppings they want. The more goodies in that piñata the better! And just like the piñata, the best part is in the inside. You can change the vegetables to the ones your child prefers, add beans for protein or rice for that extra hungry eater.
Lets love lettuce and lunch again!
Your Truly, Mama Beetle